Strategies to Promote Social Responsiveness of a Private Medical Center
Goal: Private Medical Center with Social Consciousness and Responsiveness
- An appropriate income to sustain the medical center, its goals and operations.
- With funds to help needy patients
- Help a city government hospital in the catchment community
- Help a DOH regional hospital in the catchment community
- Make the medical center a model hospital for these government hospitals.
1. Do not have a separate distinct unit for indigent patients. Mix indigent patients with paying patients in the wards.
- This way, there is no “discriminatory” image and practices between indigent and paying
- Staff, especially the interns, residents, and consultants, will be trained to treat patients without discrimination on the basis of financial capability.
- Building a separate unit for indigent patients will involve capital outlay for structures and personnel.
- Maintain the social worker’s screening for indigent patients.
- Establish a formal structured tie-up with government hospitals.
- Through the tie-up, help these government hospitals.
- Through the tie-up, more indigent patients are helped, on top of those being served in the private medical center.