Strategies to Improve Medical Center Viability and Sustainability
- Physician Factor
- Medical Center Factor
The ultimate factor that will contribute to medical center viability and sustainability is
MAXIMAL UTILIZATION OF SERVICES OF MEDICAL CENTER
There are two factors that contribute to maximal utilization of services of a medical center.
- Patronizing physicians influencing patients to utilize services of the medical center.
- Patronizing clientele (patients, communities, organizations) influenced by reputation of the medical center thereby utilizing its services.
Target: Number of active staff primarily and courtesy staff secondarily needed to ensure maximal utilization of the services of the medical center.
No. of active staff:
No. of courtesy staff:
Number of active staff – at least 2 per medical specialty and subspecialty (optimal maximum number has to be determined based on projected and current patient- and procedure-loads in existing and future services, both outpatients and inpatients, in the medical center – guide: accessibility by clientele)
Specialists and subspecialists –
Physical availability, accessibility and visibility in medical center – daily to at least 3 x a week.
Proportion of active to courtesy staff – 90:10 to 80:20
Factors that contribute to active staff actively practicing and contributing to maximal utilization of the services of the medical center:
- The medical center is their only place of practice.
- If they have other clinics aside from the medical center, they choose the medical center as their preferred center because they are comfortable with it, both in terms of their personal well-being and also in the management of their patients.
- Having an administrative position may not always be a major factor that will make an active staff actively contribute to the maximal utilization of services of the medical center.
Medical Center Image and Reputation Factor
While banking on the physician factor in promoting viability and sustainability of the medical center is important and a priority, establishing and developing an excellent image and reputation for the medical center thereby making it also a magnetic force should be done.