2012 Summer Internship Program under ROJoson in Manila Doctors Hospital – How My Intern and I Did it
Below is the project plan that my intern and I agreed upon at the start of the Summer Internship Program. This was carried out with accomplishment of expected result – presentation of a report to the Site and Services Committee on May 11, 2012, with much appreciation and with immediate action plans on recommendations of Nadine. As the intern said: “I never thought my small presentation would turn into ACTION.” Extended impact of the project will be a presentation to the heads of nursing units and housekeeping service on May 14, 2012, as requested by the Nursing Directress.
NOTE: The report will be for MDH’s internal use only.
Project Recommendations on Renovation and Rehabilitation of MDH
Reynaldo O. Joson, MD, MHA, MHPEd, MSc Surg
April 11, 2012
Today, April 11, 2012, I accepted Ms. Nadine Julian, an incoming 3rd year architecture student in University of Santo Tomas, a scholar of Metrobank Foundation, Inc., to a Summer Internship Program in Manila Doctors Hospital SVP-Corporate Affairs.
After a one-hour discussion, Nadine and I agreed on Project Recommendations on Renovation and Rehabilitation of MDH with renovation approximating the concept of upgrade and rehabilitation, repair.
At the end of the 25-day Summer Internship Program with MDH SVP-CA (from April 11, 2012 to May 11, 2012), Nadine, with facilitation and assistance from me, Dr. Hian Ho Kua, Dr. Terrence Cham, and Dr. Manny Villegas, will deliver a report entitled: Recommendations on Renovation and Rehabilitation of MDH.
I have introduced Nadine to Dr. Hian Ho Kua, Dr. Terrence Cham, and Dr. Manny Villegas right after our discussion today, April 11, 2012. They have signified willingness to facilitate and assist Nadine.
The key tasks in the project consist of the following:
- Review the architecture of the current MDH in terms of site plans, floor plans, design, and environment (internal and external).
- Benchmark with local private level 3 – 4 hospitals in terms of site plans, floor plans, design, and environment (internal and external) with focus on St. Lukes Medical Center – Global City; The Medical City; Makati Medical Center; and Cardinal Santos Memorial Hospital.
- Determine the trends in hospital architecture in terms of site plans, floor plans, design, and environment (internal and external) with focus on hospitals in the USA and Asia-Pacific (with focus on Taiwan, particularly, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital; Singapore; Japan; and Thailand).
We agreed on a tentative timelines as reflected in the Gantt Chart below:
|April 11||April 18||April 25||May 4||May 11|
|Project PlanFormulation and Agreement; Introduction to Resource Persons|
|1stdraft of ReportReview by ROJ, HHK, TC, MEV||Oral Presentation of Report|
Resources and Logistics:
- MDH Documents
- Site plans
- Floor plans
- MDH Organizational Chart
- Organizational Chart of SVP-CA
- Job Description of SVP-CA
- Vision-Mission of MDH with Social Vision
- Dr. Hian Ho Kua
- Dr. Terrence Cham
- Engr. Rizaldy Mendoza
- Dr. Manny Villegas (focus on current and future needs of services and space that have impact on renovation and rehabilitation)
- Dr. Reynaldo Joson
Places of office works for Nadine:
- SVP-CA table (guest side)
- MDH Library
- MDH Library with WIFI
- Nadine will bring her laptop.
Communication, Coordination, and Collaboration (Nadine and ROJoson);
- ROJoson websites on hospital administration
Camera for Nadine to use (she has none at the moment; she said she will borrow from her friends)
Transportation expenses for benchmarking
Office supplies (avoid as much – work paperless – at most, recycled papers)
Digital documentation and documents
Daily task schedule:
- Nadine will text me every morning on her daily tasks.
- Weekly progress report guided by Gantt Chart
May 11, 2012 – Nadine’s presentation to Sites and Services Committee. In photo: Dr. Terrence Cham, Ms.Nadine Julian, Atty. Pilar Almira, Dr. Hian Ho Kua, Dr. Reynaldo Joson, Dr. Manny Villegas. Not in photo who listened to Nadine’s presentation: Arch. Dewey Santos, Engr. R. Mendoza, Mr. Ren Reyes, Dr. Rosie de Leon, Dr. Mario Juco, Dr. Socorro Garcia, and Dr. Dante Morales.
Nadine’s presentation to the heads and supervisors of Nursing Services Division on May 14, 2012.